Saturday, June 5, 2010

It's All About ME!

The Poobah is talking up a storm now. Not that it's all understandable, but she's slowly training us to interpret the nuances of her language.

"Weeee!" with a certain hand gesture means "I want to go swing!" A finger held up to the nose accompanied by something that sounds like "Mo, mo, mo" translates to "one more time" (interpreted in Remi's mind as something more like "again!" since one more time can actually be, like, a hundred more times). "Pee-ew!" with a hand wave in front of her nose may mean that she needs a diaper change, but may just as easily mean nothing.

But her latest communication achievement is "Me!" Simple, to the point.

I first heard her assert her me-ness when I took her to Fairyland last week. She caught sight of the ferris wheel and immediately started pointing at her puffed-out chest and declaring "Me! Me!" I didn't get it at first. Mostly because I seriously doubted that she wanted to ride the ferris wheel. But I was wrong.

The closer we got, the more determined her little "me's" became. And so we got in line, which wasn't moving fast enough for the Poobah's liking, so every couple minutes she'd re-assert "Me!" And it was finally her turn and I put her in the little toddler-size cage, which does not fit a Mama. She was okay for about 2 minutes, and then panic set in. And Me wanted out. And it didn't take any words or special interpretive abilities to figure out that screaming and putting her little fingers through the cage mesh meant "Get me out of here, NOW!"

So we did. And the tears subsided. And the moment we came in sight of the carousel her little chest puffed out, her little finger pointed, and her little voice declared "Me!"

No comments: