Thursday, December 18, 2008

Adventures in Rice Cereal

A few weeks back, we started Remi on rice cereal, just figuring we'd start getting her used to the experience. So here and there we'd suit her up in a bib, stir up some cereal, and away we'd go.

But then, a few days ago, we were out for burritos. She was sitting in my lap, and next I know, she's got hold of the guacamole cup. We thought that was pretty funny, that maybe she'll grow up to love Mexican food as much as we do. And then we went on about our day. Until that evening, when we were having soup for dinner...

Again, she was sitting in my lap (she is, after all, the Grand Poobah, She Who Must Be Humored and Obeyed). Next thing I know she's got hold of my soup bowl and soup (fortunately not very hot soup) is dribbling down the tablecloth, down my leg, off her hand. So now we're realizing, this child is hungry.

We've stepped up the rice cereal offerings, though I can't say there's much intake there. I'm not sure she even likes it, given the faces she makes when she takes a bite. But last night, when she started gazing intently at my dinner bowl, I had the sense to do two things: first, move it out of her reach; and second, feed her from her own bowl, so she could join us in the dinner ritual. Now if only we could teach her better table manners...

No comments: